The following method of entering the DFU mode has been used by Apple (by using the same button combination) since the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X. If you’re coming from an iPhone 7 or earlier, you’ll find this new button combination to be more complicated than before.
Here are the requirements to enter DFU (device firmware update)
- Windows or Mac computer.
- Latest version of iTunes installed or if you’re using a Mac, macOS Catalina.
- Lightning to USB or Lightning to USB-C cable.
Before you begin, you should know that DFU mode erases your iPhone’s data. If you want your photos, texts, documents, or other data saved, you’ll need to back it up through iTunes or iCloud first.
Entering DFU mode:
- Connect your iDevice to your PC or Mac and make sure you trust your device.
- Boot Your iPhone into DFU Mode:
- Quick-press the volume up button.
- Quick-press the volume down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the screen goes black.
- Release the Side button once the screen blacks out, then …
- Quickly press and hold both the Side and volume down buttons together for 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, release the Side button without letting go of the volume down button.
- Continue holding down the volume down button for at least 5 seconds.
Don’t let go until you see a recovery prompt appear in iTunes or Finder. Once it does, let go of the Volume Down button and look at your iPhone’s display. If your screen is black, congrats! You’re now in DFU mode. If you don’t see this prompt appear in macOS Catalina, click out of the iPhone tab, then return. After some time, Finder should show the prompt.
Once in DFU mode you should be able to restore your iPhone / iPod / iPad firmware.
To exit DFU mode:
- Quick-press the Volume Up button.
- Quick-press the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button for at least 10 seconds — until you see the Apple boot screen.
Here’s a video if you still need help entering DFU mode on your iPhone X, XS, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone xr, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max.